Personal Plan for Daily Prayer
I. Start off with SILENCE….take about 5 minutes to sit still before the Lord. We are very rushed and busy people. Just sit still in silence. Don't put on music during your time with the Father. It only reflects your discomfort with silence.
II. Acknowledge being in the Lord's presence. Tell the Lord hello in other words. (2 minutes)
III. Ask the Lord to reveal Himself to you a fresh. Commit to Him to listen and obey.
IV. Read a passage in the scriptures for about 5 minutes. Ask the Lord to speak to you through His word. Take time to listen and meditate. (mull over what He is trying to say in your life or in the lives of others around you.)
V. Praise the Lord for His word and for His majesty. (5 minutes)
VI. Think on the cross for a few minutes. Go the scriptures and read the Garden of Gethsemane and crucifixion passages as well as those dealing with the resurrection. (5 minutes)
VII. Confess your sins to the Father and ask him for forgiveness. Ask Him to shine his light deep into your heart to root out any sin that lingers there. Take time to listen to Him (10 minutes) you will be surprised at what He digs up.
VIII. Think on the things that you have to be thankful for. Thank Him for them. Thank Him for everything. Nothing is too small! (5 minutes)
IX. Bring your requests before the Lord. Pray for the needs of others. Make a list so that you can be consistent. Record God's answers somewhere. Move them to the Thanksgivings list. Pray for the needs of yourself. (25 minutes)
X. Listen. Just stop and sit still again. Listen to what the Father may be saying to you. (5 minutes)
PrayerWatch Giving the work a supernatural edge
Over the past few years as we have made several discoveries concerning ways to enhance the work of evangelism among the immigrants on the streets in the city. None of those discoveries has been as significant as the discovery of “Over-watching Prayer.”
We’ve all known that prayer is powerful, and it is not just a way to support the work we are involved in, but in so many ways it is the work itself. Prayer is often the last thing we do when we are overwhelmed, but it deserves the first place in anything we do within the Kingdom.
13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. John 14:13-14
The problem as it stands is not that prayer does not work, it is that we don’t pray, or if we do pray, we pray without faith. Jesus could not have been clearer here in this John 14 passage. He will answer our prayers, if we ask in His name. So two things have struck me over the past year or so.
1. Does God desire for Muslims to come to faith in him here in Frankfurt? How can we know? Jesus taught his disciples to pray...”Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.” There it is. Why would Jesus teach us to pray or ask for something, unless he intended to answer us? So logically, and biblically we are taught to ask for his will to be done here in Frankfurt as it is done in heaven. His will in heaven is that all men and women worship him. (Rev 7:9)
2. What would it take for Muslims to come to Christ in Frankfurt? This is a two part question. a.) James tell us in James 4:2 ....“you have not because you ask not.” Now stick with me for a minute. Perhaps James is telling us that Muslims are not coming to faith in Christ, because no one is asking for God to save them. Is it important that the lost be prayed for to come to Christ? Let’s look at what James is saying. It might be easy to think that God just has a plan so he is going to do it any way. But we must be careful here, because that is a long and slippery road. If that were true, then the opposite of what James is saying would be true, not what he actually says. We have not, because we ask not. Go back to John 14... whatever you ask in my name... I will do. b.) Muslims will come to Christ as a result of hearing the Gospel. Paul tells the church at Rome “I am not shamed of the Gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to those who believe. Rom 1:16 It is not Paul’s cleverness or his flexibility in contextualizing the Gospel...it is the Gospel...pure and simple. We will be utterly amazed this week as we watch God honor His word through answering the prayers of His Children.
Prayer and Proclamation... these are two incredible strands of a three stranded cord. The third strand is Presence. The places where you will go this week have been carefully selected through prayer. God is already doing something there. We will find our place in His on-going work and when we do, it will be amazing!
So what is “Over-watching Prayer?”
So How does Over-watching Prayer work...How do you pray?
Imperative in the Over-watching Prayer role is your personal sensitivity to Christ and what he is doing in you right now. If you need to take some moments to confess your sins..remember he is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins and to cleanse us of all unrighteousness. I John 1:9
To guide you, I am making a list of ways you can pray to help you along your way. You should begin all of your over-watches with worshiping prayer...
Think on this verse.... ”Christ, the power of God and the wisdom of God." 1 Corinthians 1:24
We worship You, Lord Jesus Christ, for You are the incarnation of God’s wisdom. Your judgments are unsearchable. Your ways are past finding out. Your thoughts are higher than ours. Your plans never include a mistake. There are no accidents as You carry out Your purpose. You never have to second-guess what You have done, or what You plan to do. You are right...all the time, in every way.
I worship You as prepare the hearts of those who will hear your Good News today in this place.
We repent of our attitude of familiarity with You that has caused us to lose our reverential fear of You, and thus we have not even the beginning of wisdom with which to handle the vast knowledge we possess.
We choose to honor You as the source of all life, living with reverential fear and respect for You, and conducting ourselves according to Your stated principles and values as given in Your Word.
I choose now to believe that you are answering our prayer and are drawing people to yourself in Christ.
We ask that our example of looking to You for wisdom would be contagious, as others observe that life lived according to Your wisdom works.
We ask that You would open our spiritual eyes to see the foolishness of following the crowd, or compromising eternal Truth because it is not politically correct, or succumbing to peer pressure in order to be more accepted, or trying to blend into our culture so as not to invite criticism or ostracism, and so live eternally wasted lives.
We ask that You expose the lies that deny the Truth, and the spin that distorts the Truth, so that evil has no hiding place.
Psalms 16:8 “I have set the Lord always before me: because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.”
Psalms 18:2,3 “The Lord is my rock, and my fortress and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in Whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from my enemies.”
Psalms 23:4 “Yes, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for You are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.”
Psalms 32:7 “You are my hiding place; You shall preserve me from trouble; You shall compass me about with songs of deliverance.”
During this time you will want to ask Father to build a hedge of protection around the location that is being engaged. Here are some scripture verses that you can pray as you petition Father for protection in this place.
Psalms 34:6,7 “This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the Lord encamps round about them that fear Him and delivers them.”
Psalms 46:1,2 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the middle of the sea.”
Psalms 69:29b “Let your salvation, 0 God, set me up on high.”
Psalms 91:1,2, 10,11,12 “He that dwells in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God in Him will I trust. There shall no evil befall you, neither shall any plague come near your dwelling. For He shall give his angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways. They shall bear you up in their hands, lest you dash your foot against a stone.”
Psalms 121:8 “The Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in from this time forth, and even forevermore.”
Psalms 138:7 “Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you will revive me: you shall stretch forth your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and your right hand shall save me.”
Proverbs 3:26 “For the Lord shall be your confidence, and shall keep your foot from being taken.”
Proverbs 18:10 “The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous run into it, and are safe.”
Isaiah 41:10 “Fear not; for I am with you: be not dismayed; for I am your God: I will strengthen you; yes I will help you; yes I will uphold you with the right hand of My righteousness.”
Isaiah 43:1,2,3 “But now says the Lord that created you, 0 Jacob, and He that formed you 0 Israel. Fear not: for I have redeemed you, I have called you by your name; you are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you: when you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned: neither shall the flame kindle upon you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior: I gave Egypt for your ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for you.”
Isaiah 54:17 “No weapon that is formed against you shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against you in judgment you shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of Me,” says the Lord.”
Matthew 10:29,30,31 “Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? One of them shall not fall on the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the very hairs of your head are numbered. Fear you not therefore, you are of more value than many sparrows.”
John 10:28,29 “And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of My hand. My Father, which gave them to Me, is greater then all; and no man is able to pluck them out of My Father’s hand.”
Philippians 1:6 “Being confident of this very thing, that He which has begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.”
2Thessalonians 3:3 “But the Lord is faithful, who shall establish you, and keep you from evil.”
Hebrew 13:5b,6 “For He has said, “I will never leave you, nor forsake you.” So that we may boldly say, “The Lord is my Helper,” and I will not fear what man shall do to me.”
Prayer of Consecration....ask God to set apart this place as Holy...so that His work might be accomplished there.
• Pray that distractions will diminish
• Pray that the weather will not distract
• Pray that children, friends, animals or events will not distract from the importance of this place and this moment.
Here are some of the things you can pray for while you are in Overwatch.
1. Pray for the people in the area. Pray that their hearts will be attuned to the things of God and that they will be responsive to the truth.
2. Pray for protection from distractions: from people, animals, events.
3. Pray for a blessing on the place. Pray for blessings on the businesses there, the families that live there, for those passing through the area.
4. Pray for salvation to come to that place and for divine appointments.
5. Pray for your brothers and sisters in engagement. Pray for their focus, their energy, their receptivity to what God is doing, for their patience.